Know About me
Dr. Jennifer Riria is the Group CEO of Echo Network Africa (ENA) formerly Kenya Women Holding which is a woman led, women serving development institution that engages in activities that empower, position and advocate for women, youth and women with disabilities. Dr. Riria is also the founding member of Kenya Women Holding (ENA), Kenya Women Finance Trust Microfinance Bank and Democracy Trust Fund (DTF).
She is distinguished as a Microfinance Banker and Practitioner, Researcher and Gender Specialist. She has led KWFT for over two decades, and propelled it from an unprofitable NGO to a medium sized Bank, serving low income women and their families. KWFT has served over 3 Million women and disbursed over US$ 3 billion over a period of 25 years. KWFT Bank is still serving women 36 years down the line.
She has served in many other leadership roles for which she has been recognized locally and internationally, the most recent being the Lifetime Achievement in Banking Award in August 2020. Additionally Dr. Riria is the Patron of the Democracy Trust Fund (DTF) a semi- autonomous organization which supports and positions women to participate in democratic processes.
INTERNATIONAL AND NATIONAL ACCOLADES
- Received the Lifetime Achievement in Banking Award at the Think Business Banking Awards Ceremony
- Appointed Chairperson Africa Women Leaders Network Kenyan Chapter
- In appreciation of Dr. Riria’s work the ENA Board named one of its investments in Nakuru in her honor. The iconic building will now be called The Jennifer Riria Hub- January 2019.
- Awarded by World’s Women Banking at their 40th anniversary as an influential leader and pioneer in paving the way for women’s empowerment – 4th April 2019
- Received the Lifetime Achievement Award by Africa Women Innovation & Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF) – 9th November 2018
- Awarded Elder of Burning Spear and Trail Blazer 2018 by H.E. President Uhuru Kenyatta – 23rd August 2018
- Awarded Her Royal Heritage (HRH)/Goodwill Ambassador by Institute of African Royalty (IAR) – 14th August 2018
- Awarded Institutional award, for overall winner local fundraisers initiative supported by Aga Khan Foundation & USAID.
- Received a lifetime Achievement Award, for promoting the women and girls agenda by the Government of Mombasa, Kenya.
1.Received the Women of The Decade in Innovation and Leadership Award, by the All ladies league and Women Economic forum (WEF) in New Delhi India on May 8th 2017.
- Awarded Master Coach for Ernest & Young World Entrepreneur of the Year Forum June 2016
- Received The 2016 Oslo Business for Peace Award Honourees in May 2016
1. Received Intellecap Inspiration Award for being a true inspiration in the development sector.
- Awarded The Lifetime Achievement Award in Financial Services, country winner and Regional Winner at the Africa’s Most Influential Women in Business & Government awards 2015.
- Awarded “Most Outstanding Businesswoman of the year Award” by Africa Economy Builders’ Award.
- Global Entrepreneur of the year Award (Ernst & Young)
- Invited to serve on the Global Council on Girls / Women Leadership Global
- Received the EY Entrepreneur of the Year 2013 Award, East Africa.
- Made life Board of Association of Microfinance institutions.
- Awarded “Champion of Democracy” by the Ford Foundation New York.
- Awarded the “Trail Blazer Award by Marketing Society of Kenya.
- Awarded “Distinguished Pure and Natural Woman Award for her natural grace and commitment to her work and being a pure role model and a source of inspiration to women all over the world.
- Received “Leadership Excellence Award” from Women World Banking
- Included in 2009/2010 – “WHO’S WHO” of Business Leaders and Professional Registry.
- Received “2009 Business Excellence Award for Financing” from The Corporate Council on Africa.
- Received the Icon – HP Award and was appointed the Ambassador for HP to represent the company in the Build African Schools project.
- Awarded Moran of the Burning Spear (MBS) by the Government of Kenya for contribution to National Development
- Appointed to the Dakar Declaration Steering Committee to advise UNCDF on the African Strategy
- Requested/invited to deliver key-note address at the Harvard Business School Annual African Business Conference
- Appointed to the Public Universities Inspection Board to advise Government’s strategy on streamlining of Higher education (completed its works)
- Appointed to the 2030 Vision Steering Committee.
- Awarded Certificate for being a founder member of Starehe Girls’ Centre.
- Certificate of Recognition for being a Founder member of Association of Microfinance Institutions (AMFI) in Kenya.
- Awarded Certificate of contribution to National Development, to mark the 25 years of independence in Kenya.
- Distinguished Leadership Award for outstanding service to education for women by the American Biographical Institute.
In addition to the above international, regional and national recognitions, Dr. Riria is looked upon by her large family as the matriarch after her parents’ death. She is a transformative leader who strives for results. Working with and touching people’s lives is her passion. She launched THE JENNIFER RIRIA FOUNDATION in 2016 to enhance her quest for touching lives.