Echo Network Africa (ENA) is a woman led, women serving development institution. It is a catalyst for empowering, positioning and advocating for women with specific focus on young women, women with disabilities and women from marginalized communities.
ENA is seeking to recruit a Legal Officer, who will be responsible for legal matters that relate to the operations of the organization.
KEY TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide legal advice and guidance to limit legal exposure across the organization
- Carry out research on various legal issues and questions as they may arise
- Drafting, review, and execution of legal documents: agreements, contracts, leases, licenses
- Ensuring legal agreements and contracts maintain expected standards and protection clauses.
- Managing sign off, execution, completion and storage of legal documents.
- Copying, scanning, filling and indexing of legal documents, agreements and correspondence.
- Recording and keeping minutes of institutional statutory meetings.
- Maintaining institutional minute books.
- Protection of the business and compliance
- Registration and patenting of business critical brands and professional properties.
- Liaise with user departments and regulatory authorities e.g NEMA and County Councils, in obtaining and updating business permits, approvals and authorizations.
- Undertake due diligence on business partners.
- Ensure all compliance issues are addressed on timely basis.
- Keep abreast of new knowledge, regulations and emerging issues relating to the institution and the development world.
- Primary contact person for litigation.
- Receive court documents and maintain litigation related files.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders in preparing briefs, issuing of instructions, providing statements and documentation as required.
- Court attendance as required and ensuring court attendance by witnesses.
- Maintain and update litigation status report for all litigation involving the institution.
- Professional Membership Coordination
- Coordinate subscriptions to relevant professional bodies and industry and regulatory bodies.
- Legal Projects
- Lead in execution of various legal projects as they relate to business processes, conveyancing and real estate development.
- Any other duties that may arise from time to time.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCES
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized University
- Post-graduate Diploma from Kenya School of Law
- Must have 1-2 year’s post admission experience
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate
- Must have experience working in a corporate legal department/ busy law firm handling commercial law.
- Must have a clear understanding of property law and conveyancing.
- Good interpersonal skills
- A person of high integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-driven with ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Able to operate in a performance driven environment with minimum supervision
Interested candidates should express their interest by submitting their application and resume directly to email@example.com
(Subject reference: LEGAL OFFICER 2019) by close of business on 21st March, 2019 (12:00 pm)